MP3080 12 Months Warranty
- The variable autotransformer – Variac is the trade name of a popular brand – is one of the most useful and efficient devices ever invented for the control of AC voltage and of voltage-dependent parameters such as current, power, temperature, light intensity, motor speed etc.
- It enables the AC input to a mains powered appliance to be easily varied from 0 to full line voltage (or greater).
- Encased in heavy-duty steel housing it also features on/off switch, output-voltage meter, mains-supply lead and standard 3-pin power output.
- A must for testing appliance performance under real (simulated) mains fluctuations.
- Now supplied with slow blow fuses for extra reliability.
- Rated power handling: 500 VA (fused)
- Input voltage: 240 VAC @ 50Hz
- Output Voltage: 0~260 VAC @ 50Hz
- Dimensions: 165 x 120 x 160mm (D x W x H)
SAFETY WARNING: This item is not dielectrically isolated, this means that the output is not isolated from the mains.
An autotransformer in this case a VARIAC, does not provide electrical isolation between its windings as an ordinary transformer does; if the neutral side of the input is not at ground voltage, the neutral side of the output will not be either.
A failure of the isolation of the windings of an autotransformer can result in full input voltage applied to the output.
Also, a break in the part of the winding that is used as both primary and secondary will result in the transformer acting as an inductor in series with the load (which under light load conditions may result in near full input voltage being applied to the output).
These are important safety considerations when deciding to use an autotransformer in a given application.